AWI Postdoc “Shrimp / Crustaceans” (m/f/d)
Dear EuroShrimp Community,
We would like to draw your attention to a Job vacancy within the Aquaculture Research Team of the Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI).
Please see below or follow the link to the Website of the AWI: https://jobs.awi.de/Vacancies/1296/Description/2
Postdoc Aquaculture “Shrimp / Crustaceans” (m/f/d)
The AWI Aquaculture Research Group is part of the Sustainable Marien Bioeconomy Section. We conduct research for sustainable aquaculture solutions. Join our group of 20 scientists and many supporting technicians and students in creating solutions for future generations.
The Sorted! Project will complete the framing, installation and pre-commercial operation of patented panels for the sorting/grading of high-value aquacultured shrimp. The AWI has developed novel self-sorting systems which uniquely allow shrimp farmers to sort their animals during production. These sorting walls divide rearing tanks or ponds into sections and allow size selection as animals move independently through the sorting system openings (Bögner et al. 2017).
In Sorted!, AWI and the partner firm ECOshrimp, a large-scale aquaculture systems development firm, will test the upscaling phase and suitably integrate the patented sorting systems into commercial-scale shrimp tanks. Pre-commercial tests will allow calculation of the production (and profit) increase achieved by the systems. This validation will serve aq-uaculture systems engineers and shrimp farm managers and investors in deciding to invest in sorting systems.
You will work closely with AWI scientists and technicians and the team at ECOShrimp to install and test sorting systems and operate them for a full production period.
This job requires significant amounts of travel to Israel with periods of several weeks on -site managing experiments!
• Design and supervision of experiments in the Sorted RAS systems with sorting devices in Israel
• Coordination and cooperation with project partners and technical team.
• Sample and data analysis within the Sorted project, as well as
• Conducting experiments in the AWI tank system and / or the RAS system in Israel.
• PhD degree in biology (or comparable).
• Very good knowledge of shrimp biology
• Experience with shrimp culture and system construction
• Experience in conducting experiments and in scientific work
• Experience in result analysis and reporting
• Experience in coordination and cooperation with project partners and technical team.
• Ability to communicate and work in a team in an interdisciplinary environment and to work independently
• Languages English (must) and German (preferred)
Please contact Dr. Matthew James Slater (email@example.com,+49(471)4831-2727) for further information.
This is a part-time position (80%), limited until 31.12.2024 and advertised subject to approval of funding. The salary will be paid in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the Public Service of the Federation (Tarifvertrag des öffentlichen Dienstes, TVöD Bund), up to salary level 13. The place of employment will be Bremen.
Postdocs have to register with AWI’s postdoc office PROCEED, thereby gaining access to a set of tailor-made career development tools.
The AWI is characterised by
• our scientific success – excellent research
• collaboration and cooperation – intra-institute, national and international, interdisciplinary
• opportunities to develop – on the job and towards other positions
• an international environment – everyday contacts with people from all over the world
• flexible working hours
• Health promotion and company fitness with qualitrain
• support services and a culture of reconciling work and family
• Occupational pension provision (VBL)
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy. The AWI aims to increase the number of employees who are women, and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference when equal qualifications are present.
The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family in various ways and has received a number of awards as a result of this engagement.
We look forward to your application!
Please submit your application by March 1st 2023, exclusively online.
Reference number: 23/48/D/Bio-b
P.S.: Please feel free to get in contact if you have any news, questions or information you would like to share via the EuroShrimp network. You contact us via the euroshrimp.net website, the new Forum or send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposed by ALFRED-WEGENER-INSTITUT | Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research | Section of KNOWLEDGE AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER | AQUACULTURE RESEARCH GROUP